Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you have a question it is probably answered below. If not, please contact us and we will be happy to help.
- 01. How do I apply for the test?
- 02. What documents do I need to submit?
-Passport or Permanent Resident (PR) card
- 03. How can I submit my Passport or PR Card ID document?
-The best option is to upload a copy of your passport or PR card on the online registration form
-If you are unable to upload it, you may email it to us at email@example.com
-You may also stop by in person and we can make a copy for you.
- 04. I have sent my passport away for renewal or a visa, or lost it. Can I provide a copy on test day?
-On test day you must have the original (copies are not accepted), of the exact same passport or Permanent Resident card you used to register.
-The ID document you bring on test day must be valid. If you have sent your passport to Immigration, please make sure you get it back it before test day.
-If you have received a new ID document since registering, please contact us with the details (number, expiry date) before test day.
- 05. How do I pay the test fee?
-Pay online at kaplancanada.ca/pay
Other Ways to Pay:
-Call us at 604-688-7350 (Vancouver & Abbotsford) 416-364-0989 (Toronto) with your Visa or MasterCard
-Visit us in person
If you pay your test fee by credit card you will see a charge from “Pacific Language Institute” on your statement.
- 06. Do I need Academic or General?
We cannot advise you, only offer information. Please check with the institution (college, university, Immigration, etc.) you will be sending your results to, or your immigration consultant.
- 07. When and how will I receive confirmation of my test?
You will receive confirmation by email after all of these are received:
-ID (passport or PR card)
- 08. Can I cancel or change my test date?
Yes, You can cancel your IELTS test registration at any time before taking your test by notifying your Test Centre.
Refund terms depend upon when you cancel and whether exceptional circumstances apply.
Time to Test Date
- More than 14 days (excluding the test day) before the test: If you cancel or postpone your IELTS test registration more than 14 days before the test (Test day is not counted) you will receive a 75% refund of the total test fee.
- Within 14 days but more than three days (excluding the test day) before the test: If you cancel or postpone your IELTS test registration within 14 days but more than three days before the test (Test day is not counted) you will receive a 50% refund of the total test fee.
- Before three days (excluding the test day) of the test: If you cancel or postpone your IELTS test registration three days before the test (Test day is not counted) you will not receive any refund unless you have a medical reason. If you provide a medical certificate within 5 days after the test date, you will receive a refund minus the cancellation/transfer fee.
To apply for a test date transfer or cancellation please complete and submit the Refund/Test Date Transfer Form.
To review the IELTS Terms & Conditions click here.
- 09. I registered at another centre, can I pay at yours?
No, you must register and pay at the same centre. You cannot register at one and pay at another, or vice versa. You also cannot transfer your registration from one to centre to another.
- 10. How do I log into the my account/Candidate Area?
Vancouver, Toronto & Surrey test takers can log into your IELTS account
Abbotsford test takers:
You will receive instructions via email. Go to the candidate area. Please use the email address you entered on your registration form and your reference number, which you will find in your email. Reference numbers look like this: CA148-XXXXX-XXXXX. You must enter the reference number exactly as it appears in your email or you will not be able to log in. You may need to type it in to get it to work as copy & paste sometimes causes error messages.
- 11. What can I find in the Candidate Area?
Vancouver, Toronto & Surrey test takers: In your IELTS account you will find your test details, schedule, results, payment status, and preparation materials on a number of tabs
Abbotsford test takers:
Here you will find 5 tabs that show your details as entered at registration, your payment information (and receipt if you have already paid), free preparation materials, such as Road to IELTS, your test details (& speaking test time 2 days before test day) and the contact details for our centre.
- 12. How do I access the free Road to IELTS Course?
- 13. Where Can I Find My Reference Number?
This is more important for test takers in Abbotsford.
For test takers in Vancouver, Surrey & Toronto, on the new registration system, your reference number is not that important, but it can be found in your IELTS account.
Abbotsford test takers:
Your Reference Number is emailed to you as soon as your submit your online application form in a message called IELTS Application Summary.
You will need your Reference Number to pay online and log into the Candidate Area.
- 01. Where is the test?
Tests are held at our centre at 300-755 Burrard Street in downtown Vancouver.
- 02. Where can I park?
We advise you to come by transit if possible. We are a 2-minute walk from the Burrard SkyTrain Station and 5 minutes from the Canada Line Vancouver City Centre Station. If you must come by car, parking info can be found here and here or on Parkopedia.
Do not park on the street, at a parking meter, as you will not be allowed to leave the test centre, nor use your phone to add money, and the test is longer than most meters allow.
- 03. What time should I arrive?
You should plan to arrive at 8:30 am.
The time time doors open on your test day may change slightly depending on the number of candidates. Your time will be sent to you by email a few days before the test.
Doors will close at 9:15 am. Anyone who arrives after 9:15 am will not be admitted.
- 04. What do I need to bring with me?
All you need to bring is your passport or PR card (the ID you registered with). No other forms of ID are accepted, and photocopies or expired IDs are not permitted.
Only your ID and a clear bottle of water will be allowed into the test room. Any other belongings you bring will be locked in our cloakroom during the test.
We will provide pens, pencils, erasers and sharpeners.
- 05. How long does the test take?
You should expect your test to take from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
Typical Test Day Schedule:
-8:30 AM – 9:15 AM: Check in
-9:30 AM – 12:30 PM: Listening, Reading, and Writing tests
-12:30 PM: Lunch break
-1:00 PM – 5:00 PM: Speaking tests
- 06. Does your centre use headphones for the Listening test?
Yes, we use headphones at all of our locations – Vancouver, Abbotsford, Toronto and Surrey.
- 07. When is the speaking test?
The speaking tests are on the same day, and are held between 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm. You can see your speaking test time by logging into the Candidate Area 2 days before your test.
- 08. Can I change the time of my speaking test?
You cannot change the time of your speaking test after it has been scheduled. However, you may request an early or late speaking test when you register. We cannot guarantee a specific time, but will try to accommodate your request. Please note that speaking test times may change on test day if anyone is absent.
- 09. What if I’m sick on test day?
Please submit a Refund/Test Date Transfer form along with an official letter from your doctor stating that you were unable to take the test on the scheduled date. You may submit this before the test or up to 5 days after the test.
- 01. When will I receive my results?
Results are released 13 days after the test for paper-based tests, and 5-7 days for computer-delivered IELTS
- 02. Can I check my results online?
- 03. What is my candidate number?
Vancouver, Toronto & Surrey test takers: You do not need your candidate number to check results. if you need it for any other reason please email us and we will share it with you.
Abbotsford test takers: You need your candidate number to check your results online, so we will email this to you 1-2 days before results are released with instructions on how to see your scores online.
- 04. Why can I not log in or see my scores online?
There are a number of possible reasons.
Vancouver, Toronto & Surrey test takers:
1. It is too early. Scores are available 13 days after your test for paper-based and 5-7 days for computer-delivered. You will receive an email notification when your results are available.
2. You did not click on the correct link to view your results. Please refer to the Test Results page.
Abbotsford test takers:
1. It is too early. Scores are available 13 days after your test date at 12:00 AM on Friday.
2. It is too late. Scores are available online for 40 days after your test.
3. You did not enter your information correctly. You must enter your ID document number (passport or PR card) exactly as it appears on your ID. Your candidate number must be 6 digits.
- 06. My address has changed since I registered, What should I do?
Test Report Forms are sent to the address on your application form. If this changes, please email us with your new address before results are released. Address changes must be made via email. We do not accept address changes in person or over the telephone.
Address changes received after results have been mailed may result in long waits for your Test Report Form, and/or additional fees.
- 07. Why have I not received my results?
Results not picked up in person or sent by courier (which you can track online) are sent via regular postal mail to the address you entered on the online application form. Postal delivery cannot be tracked and can take 1-2 weeks or more depending on location. If your address is correct, then all you can do is wait for them to arrive. If your address is incorrect, please contact us for advice. It is very important that you provide the correct postal address or you may experience a long wait (and have to additional fees) for your results.
- 08. How do I get an official copy of my Test Report Form sent to a university or other institution after I have taken the test?
You may request to have up to 5 TRFs sent to receiving institutions for free when filling out the test application form.
If you request more TRFs after results have been released you must submit an Application for the Issue of Additional TRFs by email or in person. The cost is $25 for each additional TRF. There may be additional costs for express delivery, if required.
Please click here for more information.
- 09. How many copies of my result can I get?
You will receive 1 copy of your results for yourself. If you need a 2nd copy for Immigration you will need to submit a letter, signed and dated, requesting this.
There is no limit on how many copies you may send to recognizing organizations, but you will need to request this and there will be a fee charged if done after your results have been released.
- 10. Is it possible to get my score re-checked?
An Enquiry on Results (EOR) takes 2-21 days.
The EOR fee is refunded minus an administrative fee of CAD 25 if your result are changed. No refund is given if scores do not change.
For more information click here.
- 11. What is your centre number?
Our centre number is CA148.
For more information visit: ielts.ca