ielts academic or ielts general training

Academic or General – Which Version of the Test Do I Need?

There are 2 versions of the test: IELTS Academic or General Training.

You can take IELTS Academic or General Training depending on the organization you are applying to and your plans for the future. Whatever your reason for taking IELTS, make the most of your language skills.

Have a look at the comparison table below to see the differences between the 2 types:

IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training

Please check with your receiving organization or your immigration consultant to make sure you take the correct test.

Please note that it is quite common for test takers to need both version of the test. For example, if you are a nurse, you may need Academic for licensing and General for your Permanent Resident application.

The listening and speaking test content is the same for both tests, but the tests are different enough that your score on one does not automatically mean you will get the same (or similar) on the other version. Even if you have a high score one, Academic, for example, you still need to prepare for the General (especially reading & writing), test thoroughly.

For more check the British Council website.

Ready to book?

Scroll to top